Authorised Firearms Officers
PC, Authorised Firearms Officers
- AWE Group, Berkshire
- Barrow in Furness, Cumbria
- Porton Down, Wiltshire
PCs, Special Escort Group
- Special Escort Group (SEG), Berkshire
You may also apply if you are interested in locations not listed above, as vacancies may arise elsewhere in the future. Preferences will be captured in the application process, though no station can be guaranteed. Applicants will be processed in line with business needs. Post-holders will be required to travel throughout the UK when necessary.
- Applicants must be serving police officers or have left the police service no more than 36 months ago.
- Although we welcome applications from currently qualified AFOs, you do not need to be a currently qualified AFO to be eligible to apply. Full training will be provided.
- You must be a sole British National and hold a British Passport.
- You must be able to obtain and maintain full Security Check clearance and, Developed Vetting clearance for AWE and SEG posts.
- Selection to the SEG will be based on availability of posts and skill set.
- You will be required to achieve 7.6 on the Multi-Stage Fitness Test (bleep test) in line with the College of Policing National Standards for the AFO role profile. Find out more about being #MDPfit for the job.
Take a look at Entry Requirements for further information on residency, financial status, tattoos and piercings and vetting.
How to apply
If you consider yourself eligible to apply, follow ‘How to apply for PC and PS vacancies’ below, see Step 2 – Apply to join us
Closes: This campaign currently has no closing date. This will, however, remain subject to review, in accordance with level of interest and business needs.
- Applicants who pass the paper sift will be invited to attend for interview on a date to be confirmed, via Microsoft Teams video link. Successful applicants will then be invited to attend for a medical and fitness test at a later date.
- Upon commencement of employment, you will be required to complete a 9-week New Entrants from Other Forces (NEOF) course, which includes the initial 8-weeks of firearms training. Officers who are currently qualified AFO’s will have a gap analysis undertaken by the Firearms Training team and may be eligible for a shorter conversion course, where this can be accommodated.
To find out more about these vacancies, email the Recruitment Team: MDP-RecruitmentEnquiries@mod.gov.uk
We value difference in our force with a difference
We’re committed to ensuring that the MDP is representative of modern Britain, and we welcome and support applicants from all backgrounds and experiences.
Read more on our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
My move to the MDP is, for me, the best move I’ve made. I have already had so many memorable experiences including escorting HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales, whilst having to negotiate a busy sea channel carrying passenger ferries and commercial shipping boats!
Already applied to join us?
Our Recruitment Team will provide regular updates and information on the progress of your application.